Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Canning Bug

I have always been fascinated with the idea of canning.  Afterall, what could be better than preserving something that you grew from a tiny seed in your own land,and seeing it grow, ripen, and create something delicious that could be enjoyed year round?  After years of wanting to learn, I finally took the steps necessary to learn this invaluable skill for myself.

Several months ago, I took a canning class from Karen Allen, owner of Old Barn Hallow in Binghamton, NY.  I'm now hooked.

Since taking her class, I have canned blueberry jam, blueberry pie filling, dilly beans, green beans (pressure canner), and candied jalepenos...  I'm hoping to get some peaches this week to make preserves and can slices.  It's going to be amazing this winter, to open up a little jar of summer that I preserved myself.  Soon, I would like to start canning some meat in my pressure canner, especially since we are hoping to get some deer this year, and thanks to our two new pigs, we will have an over abundance of pork eventually.

What are some of your favorite canning recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment